From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Shannon ODonnell
Sent: Friday, November 09, 2007 7:46 AM
To: 'Midrange Systems Technical Discussion'
Subject: RE: Surveillance Videos and Security Cameras on the System i ?
? ? ? ?

So....that was kind of my whole point. Other than the database
security/stability the iSeries has to offer (which is great, btw), what
benefit is there to hosting a video surveillance system on an iSeries?
Or
is that the benefit right there?

I guess I'm trying to put myself in the mindset of imagining that I was
consultant for a company and they came to me and asked whether they
should
purchase a $6K Video Surveillance software package that would be hosted
on
and run from, their Win2003 Server( and which, by the way, they could
still
access from their green screen programs quite easily via sockets or even
runrmtcmd), or should they go with the iSeries vendor who will sell them
$20K video Surveillance System that will use the iSeries as the database
engine and they would then still need that Win2003 Server to interface
with
the cameras and to view the videos.

I will push the iSeries solutions every single time when I believe that
is
the best solution, which is almost always for the people I deal with,
but
come on...there are times when you have to put down the iSeries pom-poms
and
introduce a little reality into the conversation and go with the
solution
that makes the most sense to you.