I know from personnel experience that the difference can be huge
although as the processors have gotten faster, the difference is not as
much.

We had a shipping print job and the programmer wrote it to submit three
jobs to print three documents. Because of all the time spent starting
and stopping jobs by the end the day shipping was still waiting for a
documents.

My boss finally allowed me to rewrite as a data queue server and time
dropped to a second to get out all three documents.

I am dealing with the same thing from a vendor product on my current
system. It submits hundreds and hundreds of jobs cluttering up
everything but the 520 is so fast that it does not seem to effect
processing time although technically it should. Nothing takes more
resources and time than creating and deleting jobs on the AS/400.

Using a data queue server is always a good idea.

Probably the question you want to ask is how long are users waiting and
are other things not getting done?