With all due respect to the President of my sister user group (that had a
fabulous cruise this summer, worth flying in for - despite the fact that
the four LISUG folks had no reservations), building LF's over QHST files is
potentially dangerous.

I suspect, but do not absolutely know, that QHST files (PF) were designed
to not have LF's built over them, and this potentially would break the
system's "CLEANUP" function. Potentially an OPNQRYF over multiple QHST
files (limited to 32 files) would be a better idea, and would go away at
EOJ. (BTW, I just spoke to Pete, and he says that CLEANUP would gracefully
send an error message that it can't CLEANUP that file, however I would note
that if never cleaned up, that file would become *BOATANCHOR.)

Note that the system value QHSTLOGSIZ was *WAYTOOLOW for many releases.
For most systems, even increasing it to the maximum size was still too low.
After the idiot at COMMON who talks about system values bitched for many
years, IBM trivially increased the maximum size in V5R1 (still way to low),
and in V5R4 IBM provided us with a larger number of digits (that they
always said was impossible [reference QAUTLVL and QAUDLVL2 in V5R3.) If
you at any lower release to V5R4, change the default to as large as the
system will allow.

Al Barsa, Jr.
Barsa Consulting Group, LLC

400>390

"i" comes before "p", "x" and "z"
e gads

Our system's had more names than Elizabeth Taylor!

914-251-1234
914-251-9406 fax

http://www.barsaconsulting.com
http://www.taatool.com
http://www.as400connection.com

"Pete Massiello"
<pmassiello-ml@it
echsol.com> To
Sent by: "'Midrange Systems Technical
midrange-l-bounce Discussion'"
s@xxxxxxxxxxxx <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
cc

10/30/2007 10:39 Subject
AM RE: Capturing job log information
on a text file

Please respond to
Midrange Systems
Technical
Discussion
<midrange-l@midra
nge.com>

Well you could build a logical over one QHST file at a time, and only
include the msg-id that is associated with job start and the job end. Then
you would have a file to read and perhaps write out to the IFS, and at the
end of the current QHST file, you would delete the logical file, and create
it over the next QHST file.

Pete Massiello