I want to thank Reggie and Elvis for supplying the winning UPDATE SQL syntax to solve my problem. Here is an example of the SQL:

update dodom1/dictionary
set S_WORD = substr(S_WORD,1,2)||'O'|| substr(S_WORD,4)
where S_WORD = 'Rojo'

I was sure there was a way to use SUBSTR for this kind of thing and there is.

Thanks again,

Dave Odom
Arizona