Apologies if this is already understood, such that maybe I have misunderstood the given. But.... A copied tape [to new media] of a SAVLIB will remain a SAVLIB. A SAVLIB standard label file is restored from tape by a request to RSTLIB; that *SL file is not a /save file/. The ability to "see that the library is there" would seem to suggest a DSPTAP request showed the label as the library name.? The DSPTAP information should also indicate the command that was used to create the file on the tape was a SAVLIB. Has the request to perform a RSTLIB actually been attempted?

Perhaps my confusion is that the words "save file" referred both to the file on tape and a *FILE object with attribute SAVF.? If so, then presumably the error was that a RSTLIB request indicates that the media was not a valid save format, rather than having indicated that the media was not a /save file/. In this case the /file/ on the media, with the library name as the /label/ must be a standard label file with its data written in the *SAVRST format. If the copy of the tape to alternate media had copied the data records and changed the [block and/or] record length, but not also having reformatted the records to match the new length, or the file is no longer *SL, then I believe that would result in such an error.

Regards, Chuck