NTLM requires the clear-text password from the client in order to
calculate the NTLM hash at authentication time. In this case the 400
doesn't have the clear-text password. I can only assume that they are

Why should i5/OS _not_ have the plain text password?
When the user logs on, the password could be cached in memory, without
saving it anywhere.

This thread ...