From: "Gary Kuznitz" <docfxit@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "Midrange Systems Technical Discussion" <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, October 18, 2007 4:26 PM
Subject: Re: Trying to get Incoming Remote command to work in XP

Hi Scott,

Thanks for the reply.
On 18 Oct 2007 at 16:04, Scott (Scott Klement <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>)
commented about Re: Trying to get Incoming Remote command to work:

Sorry if this is an obvious question, but...

Do you have a firewall on your WinXP machine? (WinXP comes with one
built-in, and there are many, many, many third party ones available.
Just about every virus scanner suite comes with it's own. I often look
at people's computers, only to find that they have 3 or more firewalls
running at once!)

If you have a firewall, have you configured it (or "them") to allow
connections on port 512?

Good question.

In my original email I enclosed:
"I have put an exception in the windows
firewall to allow port 512 and to allow the program
cwbrxd.exe. I have also turned off the windows firewall."

I will insert my original email so everyone can know what I have done so
far.

Original email:
I'm running into a problem getting the Incoming Remote command to work in
XP.

I have it working fine in '98 so I know the AS/400 side is setup correctly.

I have tested port 512 with Port Detective and it says it's blocked. Port
Detective test the port from the PC to the outside world. I have put an
exception in the windows firewall to allow port 512 and to allow the program
cwbrxd.exe. I have also turned off the windows firewall.

I have turned off the Client Access Express Remote Command service and
checked
to see if any other programs were using port 512 with a program called
Active
Ports. It shows nothing is using port 512.

I have checked with the ISP Road Runner in Southern California and they say
they
don't block any ports.

In XP sp2 I have setup a user with Administrative Rights that the Remote
Command is using with the password in all upper case.

In services for "Client Access Express Remote Command I have set the Log On
use the same Account as the User that the remote command is using with the
password in all upper case.

I have added the user in Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Local Security
Policy, User Rights Assignment:

Act as part of the operating system
Create a token object
Create permanent shared objects
Increase scheduling priority
Log on as a batch job
Log on as a service
Log on locally
Replace a process level token

I have taken the remote command and run it from a command line with the same
user. It runs fine.

I have tried logging in under the same user and running the Remote Command.
It
hangs.

I am not getting any error in V4r4 running Client Access Express V5r1 with
the
latest service pack. The system is waiting on a timed wait.

I can understand it not connecting with port 512 blocked. I can't
understand
what is blocking port 512 unless Road Runner isn't giving me the true scoop.

I have also tried this on a different ISP - Megapath.net. Port 512 is still
blocked.

What else could be blocking port 512 in XP?

Thank you,

Gary Kuznitz

Gary Kuznitz wrote:
Thank you for looking at this.

On 18 Oct 2007 at 14:42, Wilt, (Wilt, Charles <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>)
commented about RE: Trying to get Incoming Remote command to work:

What command are you trying to run?

The command I am running is:
RUNRMTCMD CMD('C:\PROGRA~1\IRFANVIEW\I_VIEW32 S:\00147900000.TIF')
RMTLOCNAME('xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx' *IP) RMTUSER('SCANS') RMTPWD(AllUpperCase)

The RMTLOCNAME = a real IP address
The RMTPWD = a real password
Please remember, this is running fine in Win '98.

Thank you,

Gary Kuznitz

Charles

list To