Lukas Beeler wrote:

Why not? They're web applications, just like QU2 is. They show that it
is possible to make a quick and snappy web interface (even over WAN) and
that IBM is just too lazy to do this with QU2.

And a mail client is just a fancy way to access a database which stores
mails.

Just a hunch, but I suspect that Google isn't serving web pages from a general purpose computing platform. I'd guess that whatever they use is pretty strictly architected to do little more than index and serve pages efficiently. And I'd guess that they're not running much more than indexing and serving. And I _know_ that they serve pages from a bunch of systems, not just a single PC (or whatever, not even just a single System i.)

Now, if you were to start a bunch of users running interactive telnet jobs within a Google appliance/server, maybe _those_ jobs wouldn't give comparable performance to System i. How do you want your System i tuned?

And maybe if a bunch of users had comparable iSeries Access connections, possibly for ODBC access and possibly other connections, while the Google web serving is going on and while a bunch of telnet jobs are running interactive applications, maybe those jobs wouldn't give comparable performance to System i.

And maybe if there were some batch jobs running to handle generating this week's payroll or accounts payable, while ODBC was serving data, while web serving was active, while telnet jobs were running interactive apps, maybe those jobs wouldn't give comparable performance to System i.

In short, I simply cannot see the point in making the original comparison. Even Windows servers can often serve data faster than many System is; but not so much when a number of users actually logon to that server itself and start running their own interactive work (as if).

Tom Liotta

I had high expectations for QU2 - I expected IBM to set an example on
how a new generation System i application should look, and serve as a
leading example for ISVs. Wasn't the case.