Brute force has always been an option,.

I was looking for a non windows approach "if" that was possible. The netserver manual
is a wee bit weak in certain areas.

Your third step is the generally accepted method used for many years.

Most CIO/CEO have little/nothing to do with folder management.

Lukas Beeler wrote:

Yes, multiple.
This question would probably fit better on the PC-TECH list.

If you have a Windows administrator, ask him this question, he should
know how to do this. If you're the Windows administrator, there are
multiple ways to achieve this task.

First off: No approach will really work as long as the users have local
administrator rights. This should never be the case in a tightly
controlled corporate environment, but its often the case in smaller
companies. You can still try, but users will still be able work around
everything you do.

The first step is to use folder redirection for the "Desktop" and "My
Documents" folders. This will make sure that users saving documents to
standard places will end up on the server. You can redirect the My
Documents folder by right clicking it and choosing the Move to option.
For all other folders, you'll need to apply a group policy object. If
you do not have active directory, you will need to use gpedit.msc on the
local machine to edit the local policy object.

The second step is to apply secure permissions on the C:\ path. This
will prevent users from creating folders in the root folder.

The third step is to make it a policy to save all files on certain
folders. This is actually important. Have this handled by the CIO/CEO,
and make sure all users sign that they've read and understood the rules.
Making something like this official is sometimes a necessity.