From: rob@xxxxxxxxx

Joe,

If you only prefer recommending stuff that comes with i5/OS you probably
have a pretty rough time with RPG and WDSC, as IBM charges extra for
5722-WDS to get those.

I had hoped I didn't have to make the obvious statement that you need WDS.
If you are going to develop anything for your machine you need WDS. That is
one of the givens. Not only that, it's included on some express
configurations.

From an additional cost perspective, there's more of a sticking point with
the SQL toolkit (ST1) but as of about five years ago I began to include that
in the "required" add-ons. QU2 has yet to reach that state. Note that I'm
not saying it won't, but obviously today it's not there yet.

According to Pete, the acceptance of 5722-QU2 is going to be so great that
most people won't think anymore of paying for that as they do for
5722-WDS.

And we'll have to see about that. One big hitch is that WDS runs on the
smallest machine. If QU2 doesn't run on a model 270, there are a lot of
people who won't be using it. But I'll order it for my 270 and let you
know.

Joe