From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Jeffrey Carey
Sent: Wednesday, October 03, 2007 3:17 PM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: Re: S/36 Environment and Security

Hhmm, that makes it a bit more confusing.

I can see when a user signs on without the *S36 environment that they blow
up due to lack of authority to the initial program. When that same user
is changed to *S36, they do call the iniital program and work fine.

Any ideas?

Log extract (program and library names changed to protect the
innocent...):

MCH1001 Escape 40 10/03/07 15:11:19.273624 #auexcpt
000B80 QCMD QSYS 0483
Message . . . . : Attempt to use
permanent system object LIBRARY without
authority.
Cause . . . . . : You tried to use
the permanent system object LIBRARY
without having the correct
authority.

CPF2404 Escape 40 10/03/07 15:11:19.273824 QCMD
QSYS 07AE *EXT *N
Message . . . . : Initial program
PROGRAM in LIBRARY cannot be called.

Jeff Carey
System i Manager
Fimat Facilities Management Inc.

Jerry Adams <jerry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
10/03/2007 03:51 PM
Please respond to

cc

Subject
Re: S/36 Environment and Security

Jeff,

Security on the i5 functions the same regardless of whether or not one
uses the 36 environment.

What is different is the library list. Here we have the special (36)
environment set as a system value. But the library list, even if the
environment is set via the user profile, should have two unique
libraries that a non-36 environment normally would not have:
#LIBRARY
QSSP
It will probably, also, have QS36F, which is where the i5 wants to put
data files when running in the environment. You can determine this both
by looking at the library list and by running this while in the 36
environment:
// * '?FLIB?'
?FLIB? is a s/36 variable that stands for File Library.

* Jerry C. Adams
*IBM System i Programmer/Analyst
B&W Wholesale Distributors, Inc.* *
voice
615.995.7024
fax
615.995.1201
email
jerry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:jerry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Jeffrey Carey wrote:
How does security function for users in the S/36 environment?

I'm working on a box running a S/36 app (GMI), and noticed that a user
without the S/36 fails to sign on when they don't have authority to the
library containing their initial program (which is good), but when that
same user profile is set to Special Environment = *S36, they sign on
with
no problem.

I haven't worked with S/36 stuff, since, well I was on the S/36, so any
input would be helpful. I did some searches of the available IBM
documentation i could find without turning up anything.

Thanks!

Jeff Carey
System i Manager
Fimat Facilities Management Inc.

This electronic communication and its contents are intended for the
recipient only and may contain confidential, non-public information. If
you have received this electronic communication in error, please advise
the sender immediately, and delete it from your system (if permitted by
law).

Fimat does not warrant the accuracy, completeness or correctness of any
information herein or the appropriateness of any transaction. Nothing
herein shall be construed as a recommendation or solicitation to purchase
or sell any financial product. Fimat reserves the right to consider any
order sent electronically as not received unless it is confirmed verbally
or through other authorized means. Fimat will not deem any order sent by
electronic means as binding unless it is accepted and executed by Fimat in
its sole discretion. Opinions expressed herein are statements only of the
date indicated. Any market or other views expressed herein are those of
the sender only, not necessarily those of Fimat. Trading in futures,
securities, options and OTC products entails significant risks which must
be understood prior to trading. All electronic messages sent to and from
Fimat may be recorded and subject to archiving and monitoring.

Fimat and the Fimat Group refer to all companies or divisions of
companies owned directly or indirectly by Soci?t? G?n?rale that include
the ?Fimat? name. Only Fimat USA, LLC is a member of FINRA and SIPC. Fimat
International Banque S.A. (UK Branch) does not deal with, or for Private
Customers (as defined by the Financial Services Authority). Fimat
International Banque S.A. (Frankfurt Branch) only conducts business with
market professionals and institutional customers. Only Fimat Canada Inc.
is a member of the CIPF. Not all services are available from all Fimat
organizations or personnel. Consult your local office for details.