fu_james@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
I don't know how the VPN in system i works. But normally, VPN should create
a separate session key for each connection.
If this is the case in system i as well, I don't see any easy way to snoop
other people's session....

I don't know that much about VPN on the System i either ... but I would
expect it to encrypt all traffic between two systems.

A VPN will establish a tunneled IP connection over standard TCP/IP ...
this (generally) means allocating a new IP address for the system making
the connection.

Having the VPN establish a new IP for each individual job on a system
that makes a connection could allocate a LOT of IP's to a single system.

Since assigning IP addresses to a system requires a fairly high level of
access (administrator or higher), I would expect it to operate at the
system level and not at the job level.

Additionally, if the VPN software needs to authenticate ... it would
have to ask for a password, which a batch job would not necessarily be
able to provide.

On my WinXP laptop, I establish a VPN connection and *ANY* application
running in my current session can use it. Although I don't know for
sure, I would expect that another user on that system might be able to
use the connection also. I could be wrong here.

david