Joe,

(Rob is back from vacation)

I - When you upgrade you may wish to upgrade to V5R4M5 and not V5R4M0.
I-A Pro is that you can have that hot raid spare drive that you were
previously talking about. Also, if you migrate that 270 to newer hardware
you will need to be at 545 to do the "standard" unload/reload.
I-B Con is that 545 is not going to be officially supported on a 270 even
though thousands of them will need to do this (including us) if they wish
to do the standard unload/reload.

We used to be an Op's Console shop when we had 8xx boxes. Don't worry
about the ENDTCPSVR stuff. Just keep the faith. I don't know how IBM
left enough stuff running that you could do an ENDSBS *ALL *IMMED and
still use that box but, by golly, they did. Think Joe, it is the flipping
console, I am sure IBM thought of it.

The advantage of Op's Console over the new thin console is remote access.
You could always PC Anywhere into Op's Console. Ain't going to happen
with thin console or a stupid 5250 proprietary console. (Well, I suppose
you could use a PC with a twinax card using 5250 emulation and NOT iSeries
Access so you could PC Anywhere into that. But that seems to slay the
myth of reliability associated with the 5250 console. Coworker tells me
he's had to IPL the i5 lots more than his PC this last week - and he's
required to take his PC home every night.)