Again, leading blanks are NOT truncated from the second operand.

HTH
Vern

At 04:41 PM 8/13/2007, you wrote:

Hi Peter

If you change your *TCAT in the last CHGVAR statement you'll get the result
you want. *TCAT trims trailing blanks from the string before the *TCAT,
*BCAT trims preceding blanks from the string following the *BCAT.

All the best

Jonathan

-----Original Message-----
From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Peter Vidal
Sent: 13 August 2007 18:45
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: Re: Convert Character to Decimal in CL: Trimming leading zeros

I am doing this:
(&ATFILE (10/A) holds "FILE001 ")
CHGVAR VAR(&SUFFIX) VALUE(%SST(&ATFILE 5 3))
CHGVAR VAR(&POS) VALUE(1)

DOWHILE COND(&POS *LE 3)
IF COND(%SST(&SUFFIX &POS 1) *EQ '0') +
THEN(CHGVAR VAR(%SST(&SUFFIX &POS 1)) +
VALUE(' '))
ELSE CMD(GOTO CMDLBL(PROCESS))
CHGVAR VAR(&POS) VALUE(&POS + 1)
ENDDO

CHGVAR VAR(&NXREF) VALUE('XREF' *TCAT &SUFFIX)

At this point,
&NXREF = "FILE 1 "

...instead of having this:

&NXREF = "FILE1 "

Peter Vidal
MAPICS IT Technical Support Team / SR System Analyst
10540 Ridge Rd., Ste 203, New Port Richey, FL 34654-5111
http://www.pall.com

"He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a
fool forever."
Chinese Proverb

CRPence <crp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
08/13/2007 11:56 AM
Please respond to

midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
cc

Subject
Re: Convert Character to Decimal in CL: Trimming leading zeros

Consider that such naming does not provide for "ordered" names. At
least not according to the numerical ascent. An example of such a list:

A1
A10
A100
A101
A102
A11
A110
A111
A12
A2

REXX is a much better choice for such string handling, but a CLP
subroutine can replace any '0' with ' ' in a loop starting from the
first position, and the result string can be *TCAT as the suffix.

stripzero: subr stripzero /* Input &sfx ; e.g. *char 10 */
chgvar &pos 1
dowhile (&pos *le &maxlen) /* &sfx max length; e.g. 10 */
if (%sst(&sfx &pos 1) *eq '0') then( +
chgvar (%sst(&sfx &pos 1)) ' ' )
else leave
chgvar &pos (&pos + 1)
enddo
endsubr

Regards, Chuck
employer

Peter Vidal wrote:
> "CHGVAR VAR(&DECVAL) VALUE(&CHARVAL)"
>
> Now that this is clear, I do not want to complicate this more but I have
> similar issue with a little variant. I have file names which suffix is
> number from 1 to 350 and I need to trim the leading zeros and then do
some
> additional processing. For example:
>
> BEFORE: &CHARVAL = 'FILE001 '
> AFTER: &CHARVAL = 'FILE1 '
>
> Again, I need to do this for files 1 to 350.

list

----

Attention:

This communication may contain information that is confidential,
privileged and/or exempt from disclosure under applicable law.
If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender
immediately and delete the original, all attachments, and all
copies of this communication.