All the ones I've seen have a an exhaust duct of some sort that you use to route the waste heat out of
the room.

Charles

-----Original Message-----
From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of DeLong, Eric
Sent: Thursday, August 09, 2007 5:59 PM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: RE: Temperature

I never understood how those portable units could help.....
A/C works by capturing heat from the air in the location
being cooled, then transporting that heat to another location
where that energy can be released. If the front side of the
unit blows cold air, then the back side must be blowing hot
air. Once the unit is in a room, it seems like the net
effect will just be to increase the overall ambient
temperature of the room (the unit itself adds heat as it
operates).... I guess you could leave it in the doorway, but
that might cause its own problems....

Good thing I'm in IT and not in HVAC..... ;-)

Eric