We want/need to eliminate Notes, and replace it with an other package,
which would work by monitoring a folder somewhere on the network.

The idea is to let the user pick a file to publish (triggered from our
iSeries application), and drop the file in the "watched" folder.

However, we want to prevent the user from dropping the file via other
means (DOS copy, Explorer drag&drop, etc).

So what we need is a way to secure write/modify/delete access to the
drop
folder, so that only the application can put files there.

Is this at all possible?

Theres no equivalent to adopted authority under windows that I'm aware
of. The closest would be to create services providing various functions
and running them under accounts with different permissions than the user
would have.

Why not just use FTP? The user takes the file, puts it somewhere on
their local machine, then is given a batchfile/script/etc to click to
send the file off to wherever it needs to go. They don't ever have to
know where (even if they look at the script, the FTP server can use
Aliases), and since they won't know, they can't muck with the
destination. I