I am doing research for a couple projects on my plate right now and one of
the points is to supply a list of options available for documenting
services. I say services and not "web services" because I want to take it
up another logistical level to more of a "technology business process" vs.
being tied down to a single mindset of XML/XSD/HTTP/WSDL/etc which is what
many consider SOA but it is really so much more. For instance, you could
offer FTP access to a machine for customers to drop off a CSV file that you
process at a later time and then they will pick up response type documents
in another folder (again using FTP). This FTP process is a "service", but
how is it documented other than in the mind of those that built and use it?

Another example would be how people document stored procedures (even within
their own walls).

I have been doing google searches for a while now and most results to do
with documenting SOA and "services" in the end reach to links about web
services (i.e. ESB's, WSDL's, etc).

I would have to believe that documenting services through software would be
a hot topic/product which is why I am surprised to find next to nothing on
the topic (probably just my keywords used on the search) .

Comments?
Aaron Bartell
http://mowyourlawn.com