Thanks Birgitta (and Alan and R.Bruce and Nick),

Funny, I actually have used cursors with prepared statements before, but it
just didn't occur to me to use a cursor for a single value. I tend to think of
those in terms of multi-row use.

I had read about the SQLDA in the reference manual, but I didn't understand
what I was reading. I think it's beginning to make more sense now.

And of course, the OVRDBF idea is elegantly simple.

Maybe I'll try them all. Now that we can do it in /Free, it's almost fun.