Hi, Booth:

I suggested that to them, but they did not like that idea, for some reason. (They experienced performance problems in the past with OS/400 NetServer and file shares on the IFS). So, they told me they want to use a "native" Windows server to do the file serving. (That could end up on an IXS card.)

So, what would be the recommended approach?

Can anyone else suggest some other alternatives? Perhaps a Linux file server running Samba? ;-)

Thanks,

Mark

> Booth Martin wrote:
This is not clear to me. Would the client be willing to map a IFS folder directly on the PCs? Why have the intermediate server? What is the advantage>:

Mark S. Waterbury wrote:
Hi, all:

One of my clients asked about this.

Assuming they want to maintain a "master copy" of various PC files for some of their own client-server apps. (could be written in VB, C++, or anything that compiles to .exe or .dll files, or even Java .class or .jar files) ...

They want to "deploy" from the iSeries "master copy" to one or more Windows servers, into a like-named directory structure, so that the client PCs can then access this shared copy of these files via a standard Windows server network "share."
What are the "best practices" for this kind of scenario?

(They would prefer to use existing (or "free") software vs. recommending some vendor product(s) that must be purchased and installed, etc.)

NOTE: perhaps this could be triggered based on whenever file(s) in the IFS are added or changed, or it could be set-up to run on a "scheduled" basis (e.g. Windows scheduler), and just copy all new or changed files at that time.

Thanks in advance for any advice or suggestions.

Mark