Bob

Sorry to have asked the "dumb" question. Just checking!!

OK, I just looked at the REXX reference - there is nothing in the language for communications that I can see. To answer Scott's question, the book says that it DOES know about STDIN, STDOUT, and STDERR - I did not look to see what that implies or how they are used. There is an API to extend REXX, but standard APIs don't have the right parameter structure. Regular CL commands can be called, so one might be able to kludge something.

All in all, it's probably not an alternative - it could run the RUNRMTCMD and it can work with standard input, output, and error. I'm foggy now on what Scott said about that. I just looked at this a little more, in the REXX programmer's guide - it's available through InfoCenter - a REXX program can receive data from STDIN using the PULL instruction (function?). It can use the SAY instruction to write to STDOUT - like the screen. And it can use the TRACE instruction to write to STDERR.

HTH
Vern