Again, this is the wrong list for this, so I'll keep it brief.

If the people who insist that WDSC is not as productive as PDM/SEU really
want answers, I recommend they post on the WDSC mailing list, where their
problems will be answered (if they haven't already).

For example, Scott, you insist that you can get 4 5250 sessions on your
screen but you can't get similar real estate for WDSC. Have you tried
making all the views Fast Views and then splitting your screen among
multiple editors?

My free video tutorial at http://www.mcpressonline.com/mc?.6b5075f7 shows
you how to turn pretty much the entire WDSC workbench into an editing area.
Combine that with selecting an appropriate font and I guarantee you can get
an equivalent number of editable lines, and more importantly you can easily
cut and paste between the windows. And set breakpoints. And use content
assist. And use the Outline view -- and more and more besides.

A bigger monitor will help, of course, but a little more knowledge of the
tool will help a lot more.

For example, the thing about Ctrl-Shift-A not being as productive as
scrolling through a list. While I agree that there's nothing in WDSC that's
quite as fast as scrolling through members, I wonder how often you find
yourself scrolling through thousands of members to find a name that you
don't know. You say you use position to, but that only helps if you know
the first characters of the source, and at that point a filter would have a
greatly reduced number of members. But what Ctrl-Shift-A does do that
STRSEU does not is that it remember the last things you entered into the
library, file and member fields. It keeps a hstory, and you can even edit
and sort that history.

Filters, however, are really the way to go. Filters have a number of other
cool capabilities. For example, you can see a table view of a filter. Then
you can sort by name and date and text. You can subset the list by member
name and partial text match. And there's even a position-to capability.
And with a table view, scrolling through the list is much faster than with
PDM, especially since I can see 50 or 60 members at a time.

Also, I don't understand the issue about refreshing filters. I rarely
refresh my filters, so that may be why I have less issues than you do.
Since WDSC remembers the contents of a filter, the only reason I would have
to refresh is if new members are added.

So the issue is that on those occasions when you DO know the first
characters of a new member and you DON'T know the name, you can get there
faster with PDM. Yes, you're right there.

As to the "mouse-clickiness", that's definitely going to be an issue. In
fact, it's the biggest issue because, like it or not, the whole world has
gone to the mouse. Even there the nice folks at IBM tried to make it easy
by making sure that all the old SEU line commands still work. But to me,
clicking, double-clicking and right-clicking are now second nature and they
make my programming that much easier. Not only that, but when I use other
tools or program other languages (even if it's just HTML), I'm much more
productive because I use the mouse.

Anyway, I just wanted to address a couple of points. Since I teach this
stuff for a living, you might guess that I'm a bit biased, but frankly I
teach it because I believe in it and I use it every day. I am far more
productive today with WDSC than I ever was with PDM and SEU, and I was
pretty productive with those puppies <grin>.

Joe