I wish I had been that lucky Joel!

I used that procedure and when we had major trouble with our PTF indexes
after the install, IBM support told me that they did not recommend that
procedure for moving from V5R3 to V5R3M0 LIC (although they originally HAD
said it was a good plan!). They told me instead to use the save restore
method using the RTVSYSINF command (detailed in the B&R manual). It was
the appendix that also describes doing a hardware migration from one OS
release to a higher OS release on the target box. The support tech that
worked on the issue specifically said that they consider it a new OS
version for the purpose of the migration. I'm glad it worked for some, but
the story I got from IBM was that it was the wrong method and it sure
caused us some hassle during the migration.

This was last year in the late summer timeframe, so maybe the
recommendations have changed again, but if it were me, I would spend time
talking to the right software support team at IBM and crossing t's and
dotting i's with them.

"Harvell, Joel"
<jbharvell@foodli
on.com> To
Sent by: "Midrange Systems Technical
midrange-l-bounce Discussion"
s@xxxxxxxxxxxx <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
cc

06/18/2007 03:18 Subject
PM RE: V5R3M5

Please respond to
Midrange Systems
Technical
Discussion
<midrange-l@midra
nge.com>

I've done this before. I installed the lic from cds for V5R3M5, then
restored the operating system and user files from tape backup from the
old box that was at V5R3M0. I actually did this 3 times, once each for
our test and development box and once for a production System. Luckily
I could "practice" doing the install using the hardware for the test box
before I tried to do it for our production system.

Joel B. Harvell
Food Lion, LLC
(704) 633-8250 x2709
jbharvell@xxxxxxxxxxxx