Jim Franz wrote:

I'm looking to see if thru any other listening server on a diff
port than telnet (23) one can access terminal emulation and virtual
terminals. What ever client they used was changing my existing virt devices
to VT100.
By guesssing a know name (like qpadev0001) that did exist, it did not
require creating a new virtual to connect.

NETSTAT *CNN will show you what ports are listening, but I really expect
it's getting to port 23 on the System i. There could be a different
port forwarded through the firewall, though. A network scan from the
outside would be a good idea (nmap for example).

Also, they don't have to guess a device name. The telnet server
automatically gives out QPADEV* devices when a name is not specified.
It is more likely that no name was specified than someone was using a
client that could pass a device name.