Some things to consider is what market or technical issues are faced
with the deployment of the new hardware.

Based on overall market issues you will probably always see the new
processors on the p side of things first. Not that the i isn't driven
by performance factors but I think it is less than the p. Granted I'm
going to hear a lot of emails where people need it but our market just
isn't based on pure performance as much as the p. I sse that changing
more and more over time so maybe that will become less of a delay over
time.

We also tend to suffer from integration or support issues. One thing
that is very nice is that with new models you don't have to be on the
latest version of i5/OS any more. The n-1 (or whatever you call it)
mentality is very nice and probably creates some more testing and
integration issues. For example, we just moved from an 825 to a 570+
model. It was sooooo nice not having to be on V5R4. If V5R4 was a
requirement we would have probably had to delay our purchase by about 12
months.

Not that the p doesn't have to test or integrate but there are some
differences.

It does suck watching a nice technical leap being played out in the
market and not being able to take advantage of it. But I wouldn't be in
to much of a hurry to make it more of an issue than it is. We will get
what the p has soon enough.

Michael Crump

Manager, Computing Services
Saint-Gobain Containers, Inc.
1509 S. Macedonia Ave.
Muncie, IN 47302
765.741.7696
765.741.7012 f

Achievement
You can do anything you set your mind to when you have vision,
determination, and an endless supply of expendable labor.
This email and its attachments may be confidential and are intended
solely for the use of the individual to whom it is addressed. Any views
or opinions expressed are solely those of the author and do not
necessarily represent those of Saint-Gobain. If it did, it would be
folded, mutilated, watered down, politically corrected, and would show
up a week later if at all. If you are not the intended recipient of
this email and its attachments, you must take no action based upon them,
nor must you copy or show them to anyone.
error.