Rich: Many thanks, we're using *LIST - we fought that "open relay" issue a
few years ago.

Chris: I'm picking my way through unfamiliar terminology here, but we're a
very small shop and don't have a separate mail gateway. If I understand
our config correctly, our i5 smtp server grabs anything that the router
sends to that particular IP address. The email is immediately accepted or
rejected depending on whether there is an SDD entry. I suppose that means
that our gateway and internal server are the same thing? I think I
understand the scenario you are describing but don't think it applied to
our case. Please correct me if I'm missing something.

Now just have to figure out the real problem. I suspect that our domain is
listed as the 'reply to' address on some 'refinance your house' email,
and some AOL'er is tagging our domain as spam.

JK

On Tue May 22 14:41 , 'Chris Bipes' sent:

It is not a relay, but a cleverly crafted email to no
one@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, with the sender ID of the real destination. That
way if your gateway accepts all incoming email and then forwards to your
internal server, your internal server sends the email back to the phony
sender as a NDR. Your gateway needs to validate all incoming email
recipients and reject if the recipient is an invalid email address.

Christopher Bipes
Information Services Director
CrossCheck, Inc.