Its a relation database. Just because you don't use all of
the features available to RDBs doesn't mean it's not. :)
At least that's how I see it.

Better yet, wiki relational database and see what they say.

If you never use the blinkers or wipers on your car, is it
still a car?

Brad (coming out of hiding for a bit) Stone
www.bvstools.com

On Thu, 17 May 2007 08:03:47 +1000
"Pantzopoulos, Michael" <Michael.Pantzopoulos@xxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
I was recently asked if the iSeries had a data base, or
whether our
application used flat files.
I said it had a relational DB, but then I started
thinking about the
application's use of the DB.

It's a 25 yo application, and yes it has keyed files
(physical as well
as logical of course)and these files are related through
foreign keys.
Some logicals of course have select/omit criteria.

But there's no constraints, triggers or procedures being
used. There is
no use of DDL. It's all compiled DDS.

That got me wondering if there's a more subtle definition
of a
Relational DB.

In other words, would I be correct in repoprting back to
this person
(the company architect) that yes we do have a Relational
DB but it has
not been implemented in a Relational manner? Or should I
just keep my
mouth shut?

Thanks.

Mike Pantzopoulos

"This e-mail and any attachments to it (the
"Communication") is, unless otherwise stated,
confidential, may contain copyright material and is for
the use only of the intended recipient. If you receive
the Communication in error, please notify the sender
immediately by return e-mail, delete the Communication
and the return e-mail, and do not read, copy, retransmit
or otherwise deal with it. Any views expressed in the
Communication are those of the individual sender only,
unless expressly stated to be those of Australia and New
Zealand Banking Group Limited ABN 11 005 357 522, or any
of its related entities including ANZ National Bank
Limited (together "ANZ"). ANZ does not accept liability
in connection with the integrity of or errors in the
Communication, computer virus, data corruption,
interference or delay arising from or in respect of the
Communication."
--
This is the Midrange Systems Technical Discussion