You're just a kid. I've been doing this since 1962. PCAM card
equipment. IBM RAMAC 305 (which used vacuum tubes), IBM 1401, etc. etc.

-----Original Message-----
From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of
DaleGindlesperger@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Thursday, May 10, 2007 2:29 PM
To: midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Old days

"You are not that old. I decided to learn RPG when I found out that the
electrict company was buying a systen/3, and it only had RPG. (Fortran
and Cobol where added later). I learned it in a 1130."

Wow! Another 1130 vet! I went from an 1130, to a S/32 (yes, used RPG
on
the S/32 - no cards!! What a CHANGE!), then on up the ladder.

Always amazed me that we had COBOL, FORTRAN, and RPG on the 1130, with
only
8K RAM total. And it takes so much to run ANYTHING today! Obviously
Bill Gates and the rest of MS didn't have to play on a card-based
system....

40 hours to card sort the county by SSN for local taxes..... Wow, then
another 24 hours to get it by district..... And afterwards, the
sprinkler
system went off and soaked all the cards...... 16 trays...... Type
5081's, allllllll soaked. Dried them in a school's oven, reproduced
them
on a 1401's card duplicator so they would go thru the IBM 1442 card
read/punch on the 1130.....

Yep, I'm old.... 49, been doing this since 1976.....

Dale Gindlesperger
IT Manager/Special Projects Leader
Fleetwood Folding Trailers, Inc.
258 Beacon Street