From: Jon Paris

I agree there agree probably more comprehensive libraries available for
Java - but you picked the wrong examples <grin> - PDF and image
creation/transform are both supported. Modifying PDFs is a "for-fee"
library I believe but the base includes PDF creation - I've played with it
some. Excel spreadsheets etc. too.

Ah piffle. Just goes to show what happens when I don't do my homework.

Well, that does it. As soon as I get my SWMA straightened out (which
unfortunately is a complete mess right now), I'll get PHP on a box here and
start playing with it.

And of course in the meantime I'm sure I can get my hands on a Windows
version...

>> for RPG are the EGL crew!

> Yes, them... <harrumph>

ROTFL! Yeah - I'm persona non grata with them right now for daring to
suggest that they were insane to think that EGL would take over from RPG.
The sad thing is it is a great tool with huge potential - in certain
specific areas - many of them the same ones as PHP and Java. But I doubt
it
will ever take off on System i because of a) Cost b) Too mainframe
oriented
and c) Its promoters insistence that it is equivalent to the second
coming!

Yeah, I'm in a little trouble too. Not as much as you, though - I'm at
least speaking about it in June at RSDC. As to the System i acceptance,
though, I think it's going to depend. There are people in the EGL world who
*DO* think that it should work and play well with the System i and even with
RPG, and I think those folks have enough clout to make it happen.

Keep watching this space.

(Of course, there's still the hurdle of WebSphere, so I think RPG-CGI and
perhaps even more PHP will have a place in the future world of the System i,
but at least you wouldn't have to learn Java <grin>.)

Joe