On 5/9/07, Michael Rosinger <mrosinger@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
List,

Could someone point me to a document or manual where I can get a quick
understanding of the advantages and disadvantages for using and accessing
modules and service programs vs. separately compiled *PGM objects from ILE
COBOL? All of them would be ILE COBOL.

the problem with ILE COBOL is the external procedure names have to be
10 characters or less. I did some cobol programming recently and was
shocked that there was no support for passing parms to sub routines
within a cobol program. I kept on wanting to use ILE so I could
refactor the code I was wrestling with to not use global variables,
but I came up short. There was the 10 character name limit and also
only one procedure per module is visible to the COBOL compiler. ( my
limited experience. would not mind being told I am wrong )

-Steve