I am most excited about MySQL running on a PC platform using the iSeries as
its storage engine.
MAJOR RED FLAG! If I am running enterprise business apps on my iSeries in
PHP I would not want to reach out to another Wintel machine only to have the
DB request come back to the iSeries' DB2 engine.

I think you may be in a different market space than some of the rest of us. Here, we have a mix of servers, Wintel, Linux and iSeries. It's just how it is. IT didn't roll out the Linux boxes, but after a while, the people using them have corporate data on them, stored in MySQL databases. Not a planned evolution, but it happened nonetheless.

If DB2 can reach out and touch MySQL as though it were a distributed DB2 database, we'd finally be able to integrate those other databases into our core back end processes.
--buck