Gord,
I run a service bureau for several ship lines. We support trade AMS
applications with US Customs for the ocean standard. For our application,
when we send a 309 document (manifest), USCS only sends back a 997 FA if
there is a problem with the data. In our case, when we send a 309, they
return a 355 document with the disposition of the manifest to let us know
what B/Ls in the manifest were accepted.

Michael is correct, use the WRKMQMQ command to look at all the queues on
your system. Your receiver queue will be defined as *LCL.

You can also look at the MQ channels (WRKMQMCHL). You can try to start your
receiver channel as well (option 14). I have written an MQ monitoring
system that keeps track of when we last received data from Customs and if
too much time has past, it initiates auto recovery. Sometimes
programmatically, especially when sending data, our outbound Queue will
stop, and the solution has been to stop and restart the channel.

FWIW, our MQ connection to USCS has been VERY reliable, and much better than
the old dial up MSRJE connection we had 5 years ago. We just received work
that USCS is dropping MQ over frame relay support, and we need to convert to
MPLS or internet VPN. Have you guys done this yet? We are opting for the
internet-VPN option. While the physical connection will change, as far as I
can tell, we wont have to touch our middleware or applications.

Regards,
cjg

Carl J. Galgano
EDI Consulting Services, Inc.