EIM requires an IBM Tivoli Directory Server -- so that eliminates AD as
the repository for the ID mapping data.

It doesn't matter, though, what kind of server ITDS runs on.

Second, for the vast majority of customers, EIM is NEVER used from
windows. EIM is used by the remote system being accessed from Windows.
So, from an availability point of view, it makes more sense to have EIM
running on the remote servers being accessed from windows.

If you access multiple remote servers from windows, you have a few
choices. You can run a single instance of EIM on a single server
somewhere in your network, you can configure two or more replicas, or you
can configure a replica per server. You most likely want to use a
peer-to-peer replica set up rather than Master-replica set up. A
peer-to-peer replica allows you to update any one of the replicas and have
all the other replicas be updated automatically by LDAP. A Master-replica
set up allows you to only update the master -- the replicas are read only.

Patrick Botz

Security Architecture Consulting & Implementation

IBM Systems and Technology Group Lab Services

mail: botz@xxxxxxxxxx

phone: 507.253.0917 / mobile: 507.250.5644

ibm.com/servers/eserver/services