Hi,

thanks all to try to convince us to use SQL .
Still I do feel sad about this:

Apparently most of the known issues that existed way back in 2001 , are stillt here
(see the Paul Conte article "Club Tech iSeries DB2 UDB & SQL/400 dd 09.20.01" )

<quote>
* Traditional data definition functions that are NOT available with SQL

-- Field reference file
-- Multi-member files
-- Multi-format logical files
-- Access path (SQL index) features:
+ Access path over multiple members
+ Select/omit access path
+ Access path over derived fields
+ ABSVAL, DIGIT, UNSIGNED, ZONE field attributes for access path
+ ALTSEQ attribute for individual access path fields
(SQL uses sort sequence for all index columns)
+ FCFO, FIFO, LIFO sequencing for duplicate key values
</qoute>

- new development is all about reuse etc.
When it comes to File descriptions, all this reuse stuff suddenly doesn't count anymore.
On the contrary.
No more durty old fashioned repository, such as a "Field Reference Files"
Allthough 95% of new fields do reference already existing ones,
in SQL one should redefine everything;
length, type, description, headings,etc, editing ,

Ah, No , how sad !
Ever since 25 years ago in my mainframe PL1 time, one of the things I should and could define,
was how a numeric field must be edited.
In the modern SQL world I still can't find how I should or might do this.
(or no one ever edits numeric data anymore?)

- Multi-member or Multi-file Logical files don't have a real alternative in indexes, as far as I know.
(my questions in the newsgroup some time ago confirm this).

- "Select/Omit should be avoided "?
In a real world application and database I cannot think of a situation where Select/Omits would not be appropriate.
Let's take our sitation: legally we have to keep 20 years of paiments in our files.
Of course, most of the time we need and use only the last year in selections etc.
A simple LF with select/omit provides this without any problem ( and - using OVRDBF- totally tranparent for all applications) .
Will a "optimized SQL query using the SQE engine" give the same performance and same simplicity as such a clean simple LF ?
IMO this kind of situation is a standard daily situation in nearly any information system?

- SQE migth be very fast comparing to other techniques in complex batch selects,etc,
only, at our shop, what interests us the most is fast direct access .
I suppose SQE would do here a good job too, if IBM would solve this select/omit issue?

- Another bizar fenomenom:
Some tests we've run through seem to indicate that the SQL optimizer engine does not have any knowledge of table/file Reorganizes done over the most used accessPath.
Even with the SQL engine, I would think that using accesses acording to the reorganized files would benefit great for data-throughput ? and that is the major role of the optimizers , isn't it ?

Can we hope that IBM makes some work out of these 'known issues ever since 2001",
so that all "traditional data defintion functions" one day all will have a good replacement ?

luc

----- Original Message ----- From: "BirgittaHauser" <Hauser@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>