From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Thursday, April 12, 2007 8:04 AM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: RE: IP Address change on iSeries

Oh, if you really want to find, and use, your second line...
Look at your current interface
NETSTAT *IFC
Remember the line description.
DSPLIND the line description
Remember the resource name.
WRKHDWRSC *CMN
Find that resource.
5=Work with configuration descriptions
See your existing line description? Good. So far I was building
familiarity.
Now, go find another resource. May be the same type. However, it may
not. It depends on stuff like extra card vs built in to the system unit.
GB card versus 10/100MB card, etc. The "Text" is often a good clue.
Once you find a likely resource, use the option 5 again to see if someone
is already using it.
If not, while you are in the option 5 screen, you can use the option 1 to
create a new one. However, most often I will go find an existing line
description and copy that puppy. Taking care to change:
Resource name
Local adapter address
Exchange identifier
I never use the imbedded hardware adapter address. What happens if your
lan card goes bad and you have to replace it?
Your exchange identifier must begin with 056. That means "I'm an i5 and
I'm damn proud of it.". Traditionally, some people have use S/N for the
next 5 characters. But, once again, it has to be different than your
other line description.
Now, if your hardware is different (gb card vs 10/100mb card) you will
have to pay attention to line speed and stuff like that. Then, if you are
using SNA there's other stuff to be concerned with like the controllers
associated with the line.

Therefore I'd sooner use the multiple IP address interface on one line.
The only time we use two lines is for lpar's that are using a HA solution.
We'll put the second line on a different subnet, etc.