To: "Midrange Systems Technical Discussion" <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, April 06, 2007 1:15 PM
Subject: Re: Batch conversion of OV/400 docs to Word docs

How is their performance using the IFS for all their
users ???

This really sounds like the way to do this thing.

Word/whatever on each pc and all documents stored on
the IFS.

How many users on what size system ?

Jim Franz wrote:

If wanting to keep it simple, store the docs in the /home dir in IFS for
each user, map a drive on each pc to that dir, put Word (or if not heavily
formatted - Open Office (its free) on each pc. I wouldn't add a Win server
"only" for this. Have a customer with thousands of docs done like this
(using
Word). They don't want the addtl requirements to keep a win Server
always up, safe & secure. They are comfortable with the speed of
word processing (on an iSeries 800) and love that it is backed up with
iSeries data. No tech on site. No administrator. It just runs.
Have done the OV to rtf conversion, then saved as .doc but was
not automated. They hired someone for a month to do thousands of docs.
jim franz