From: Steve Richter <stephenrichter@xxxxxxxxx>
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, April 5, 2007 11:43:01 AM
Subject: Re: iSeries specific benefit - Disk IO performance

On 4/5/07, rob@xxxxxxxxx <rob@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Steve probably has a point on the overpricing. But his other points often
go out on some odd tangents. Some people feel that the way to get some
obscure request that no one else would find a need for is to say something
like:
DB2 won't be a "real" database until it stores all of it's numbers in
Roman numerals.

If someone's definition of portability TO an i5 is to run their
application in PASE then that's pretty lame. I don't see the benefits of
a PASE based application vs an outboard processor.

And moving DB2 offboard to PASE will only hurt performance. The only
possible benefit to enhancing migration of applications will be to those
current iSeries vendors who want to milk the iSeries cash cow without
putting any investment into it and poorly migrating their other platforms
to run under PASE and calling that the next version of their iSeries based
application for a couple of years until they drop the box altogether.
Again, DB2 in PASE will only help migrate from, not TO. If they already
have it supporting DB2 why not put it native?

yeah, but look at the idea and reasons for PASE itself. PASE exists
so you can run AIX/Linux software on a SLS system. Without SLS you
can still have the great features of i5/OS without the need for PASE.
But even that is not enough for AIX apps to run on the i5 because AIX
apps are written to an OS model where the database is a plugable
component.

as far as migrating apps and in which direction, my speculation is the
important thing is for a package vendor to be able to drop its package
on a system and have it both run well and integrate well with other
applications on the system. Just my guess, but the integrated
database model of the i5 probably makes that harder to do than
otherwise.

-Steve