Amazing how much fine detail there is in this stuff. I purposely put up those key words, knowing it would capture the eye of those I know are curious and willing to share their knowledge.

This is a finance application in Australia which is 25 years old. The application is built around 5 'states'. Twenty five years ago the appropriate library at the top of the library list allowed the state offices to work with their own data.

We now have a centralized settlement process whereby loans which need to be auithorised by a human (as opposed to the auto approval ) are routed. A loan authorization officer handles loan applications from all of the states and they are presented in a 'work-basket' by the SQL I am trying to optimize on a first in first out basis.. In other words the SQL uses a UNION to apply the same select criteria to each file in each of the libraries. In other words, their work queue is Australia wide, and not state based.

We could change their work practices to become state based, but this adds complexity and defeats the concept of a universal queue.

I'm at home at the moment and don't have the SQL at hand, but when I get to work I'll publish it.

I find this debate very imformative as it elicits all the subtleties of this grey world of DDS & DDL overlap.

What do people think of having an SQL only list to concentrate the knowledge?

I agree that with IBM that DBA on a small site is uunecesssary, but on a big site I think that it should be compulsory. There is no way that the average developer can be cognizant of all the intricasies of tuning. I'm just starting to immerse myself, and the water seems to be extremely deep and full of sharks!

Thanks for all your contributions.

Regards, Mike Pantzopoulos

Join the millions of Australians using Live Search. Try live.com.au http://ninemsn.com.au/share/redir/adTrack.asp?mode=click&clientID=740&referral=million&URL=http://live.com.au