Mike,

your setup is a quite normal situation that will happen in many shops.
We have exactly the same situation in our environement
- with of course the same problem - .

( One thing I do not understand in the DB2-definitions is that iSeries
logical files are treated as SQL-views,
although they are views AND indexes at the same time. )

At the moment our environment is as follows:
We have created Logicals in each library over each table.
And we have created "overal" logicals in an  "overal" library.

Not creating an index (a logical I mean) will definitely degrade any reading
of the files (via a general (SQL)-view).
With the logical, as the performance redbooks tell us, the new SQE will not
be used.

Conclusion:
1) we have to stick to the old engine,
but this (including the 20% penalty) will still be better then not having
any access-path  at all.
(=> what might mean: calculating an accesspath each run; as a result each
time creation of a temporary file with sorting, ...)

2) SQL and the query optimizer engines at the moment still have some severe
drawbacks.
(a join using one or more of  these  "overal"-logical files, or creating an
"overal"-join logical file over 2 series of tables  is not possible either,
as far as I have been able to test ...)

Mike, with you I would beg the IBM and DB2 Folks,

Dear developers,
can we hope for any new evolutions in this important area of
data-consolidation in the near future?

luc

----- Original Message ----- From: "eftimios pantzopoulos" <eftimios@xxxxxxxxxxx>