   Depending on your needs, you can approach this different ways.

   Some of the ways have other benefits.

   If you only care about a handful of programs, you can put like a debug on
   them, to generate audit trail of their actions, in report or data base
   format, regardless of who runs them, but then you don't get anyone messing
   with those same files some other way.

   Journallng changes to the files can be used to back out unwanted changes.

   You can put trigger on each file, which will track before & after on all
   changes, but then you can be drowning in details & need a tool to digest
   what's significant.  This will get how those files got changed regardless
   of who messed with them how (any program, system tool, hacker
   visitation).  With a trigger, basically any time anyone tries to change a
   file, that causes some other program to run to analyse what they doing,
   and you can use that other program to capture your log.  You gotta design,
   write the software that is to be triggered.

   One vendor tool for not drowning in details, and not having to write all
   the programs, is
   UPI's Stitch-in-Time
   http://www.unbeatenpathintl.com/stitch_in_time/source/1.html

   You specify which fields you want to track & it will give you before/after
   date time user-id method (what program, system tool, whatever they used),
   but you want to be selective in what files fields to monitor to avoid
   drowning in data.  It is not an alert for inappropriate changes ... you
   specify what you want to monitor & you review what happened.  If you don't
   specify some field, or you do, but don't look, something bad can happen &
   you oblivious to it.  There's other tools out there that can alert you to
   something bad happening, but I forget the product tool names.  An
   advantage of UPI's product is they already done the programming you need,
   installs very fast, is user-friendly to non-technical people.

   Sorry, me been swamped, so behind in viewing some lists threads.

     Hi

     I need a program which will track all changes made by program/s in
     database
     on AS400.
     Explanation:
     1)I call PGM1
     A) program PGM1 change REC1 in FIL1 - info about it (what was changed)
     should be store somewhere)
     B) program PGM1 change REC2 in FIL2 - info about it (what was changed)
     should be store somewhere)
     C) program PGM1 change REC1 in FIL1 - info about it (what was changed)
     should be store somewhere)
     2) program PGM1 call PGM2
     A) program PGM2 change REC1 in FIL3 - info about it (what was changed)
     should be store somewhere)
     3) program PGM2 call PGM3
     A) program PGM3 change REC1 in FIL1 - info about it (what was changed)
     should be store somewhere)
     B) program PGM3 change REC1 in FIL4 - info about it (what was changed)
     should be store somewhere)

     Report should show
     PGM1 change REC1 in FIL1
     PGM1 change REC2 in FIL2
     PGM1 change REC1 in FIL1
     PGM2 change REC1 in FIL3
     PGM3 change REC1 in FIL1
     PGM3 change REC1 in FIL4

     Because I don't exactly know which files can be changed - It will be
     fine to
     "register tracking by program dependence" not by files.

     Do you have any idea which program support such job?

     Regards

     Tomasz

     list