From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Darrell A Martin
Sent: Thursday, March 22, 2007 3:19 AM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: USB key drives

Hi:

This issue has ***Series i ramifications***. We have a number of
important
DB2 files with confidential data that would fit quite nicely onto many
new USB key drives without being compressed into a SAVF. With all the
doors being opened for access to Series i data "from the outside",
anyone with a little extra authority and a current key drive can walk
away with a frightening range of stuff. Physical access as security has
gone from being marginally useful to being a terrible and dangerous
joke.

Anyway, at least one pundit I read somewhere has an entire Linux distro
installed on a USB key drive, with all important programs (network
connection of course, browser, e-mail, text editor, etc.) ready to run.
He can supposedly sit down at a friend's computer, reboot off the key
drive, use Linux, and log off leaving the computer essentially
untouched.

As to why the different treatment of platters and solid state, it is
because there is a tremendous distinction in one area; size. Solid state
drives are extremely compact and frequently disguised as other gadgets.
The largest available devices are gaining capacity at breakneck speed
and with only tolerable increases in price. The issue is not technology,
but security. It just isn't easy to walk off with a reasonably priced
platter-based device in one's pocket.

I am not defending Microsoft's "no choice" elimination of USB key drive
backups. "Isn't easy" is a far cry from "isn't possible." But the folks
in Redmond have been, properly, excoriated for their past "convenience
trumps security" approach to a lot of things. This swings the pendulum
the other way. It isn't all that rational, but it certainly is *not* on
my list of reasons for not moving to Vista.