From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx]
On Behalf Of Booth Martin
Sent: 20 March 2007 17:10
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: Re: Accidentally Lost Data

I once saw a dump truck driver dump his load without releasing his tailgate.
When the dump body went over-center, the truck reared up on its back two wheels
and then the frame bent in half and the front two wheels dropped to the ground.
 Someone said that that was one ever-so-fired truck driver and his boss said
"No WAY.  That guy will never make that mistake again, and I'll be damned if
I'll let another outfit gain the benefit of this training!"

So, I betcha this department, including the dude or dudette, will be
more careful about Ooops Planning from now on.   As to the $225,000...
hey, its money into the local economy, right?  A good thing.  And its certainly
not a major amount of money, especially with $2.30 gasoline.

Pete Helgren wrote:
No.  That is the difference between working for a public entity,
probably protected by a public employee union and civil service laws,
and a private company.

Employment for life, regardless of performance ......

Pete Helgren

Rich Loeber wrote:
Oh, and here's my favorite part:

     Former Revenue Commissioner Bill Corbus said no one got into trouble
for the
     incident.

     "Everybody felt very bad about it and we all learned a lesson. There
was no
     witch hunt," Corbus said.

I guess that's the difference between working for a company and working for
the people.

Rich

Rich Loeber wrote:

Hard to believe there was only one backup tape.

It is clearly a case of bad policy and bad implementation.  I wonder if the
good
citizens of Alaska know about this?  And, why is it only getting publicity
now when
it happened in July?

Rich Loeber
Kisco Information Systems
http://www.kisco.com

Jim Franz wrote:

What's missing in their budget request is a better backup & recovery
system...
jim