This wouldn't work with the SQL approach, but if you're willing to look at
using the cryptographic services APIs the Key Management APIs (introduced
with V5R4) allow you to have keys that are not visible to (or even in)
your application programs.  For more information see the Key Management,
Cryptographic Context, and Encryption/Decryption subcategories under the
Cryptographic APIs cateogory of system APIs.  When reviewing these APIs
keep an eye on how key contexts can be created and used.

Bruce Vining

rob@xxxxxxxxx
03/20/2007 08:33 AM
Please respond to

cc

Subject
Re: Encrypting data Was: Securing tape backup drive

Good question.  And the links I sent earlier touch on that, a little.

Keep in mind, that you do meet the requirements that the data is
encrypted.  And it is encrypted using a "standard", which carries more
weight than some homegrown that some of us have tried.  Anyone browsing
the tape for patterns like '123-45-6789' or 9 digit numbers (packed or
zoned) sure wouldn't find it.

1 - Never put the source on the production machine.  We don't.
2 - Save the programs on a different tape than the data.
3 - Consider not leaving any debug information on stuff with the password
imbedded.
4 - Consider leaving the password constructed in a service program that
people must call to use.  Then again, you could have someone, like my
coworker, who executes it, get's the parameter back, and publishes it to
the whole department.

For read only you could do something like:
create view rob/vickerduh as
   (Select mykey, decrypt_char(myssn,'Ben123') as DisplaySSN
    from rob/vicker)
  View VICKERDUH created in ROB.
select * from rob/vickerduh
        MYKEY   DISPLAYSSN