Thanks for your reply, Scott.

I'd actually read about it in the Memo To Users v5r3 where I understood
it to say that if the target (TOFILE parameter) has no explicit CCSID or
it is 65535, no conversion occurs.

In my case the TOFILE (TOSTMF) doesn't exist (CPYTOIMPF creates it) and
the CCSID is explicitly specified with STMFCODPAG(*PCASCII).

Yet no conversion is done - this seems counter intuitive to me.

Furthermore when creating the temporary *PF with CRTPF FILETYPE(*DATA)
no CCSID other than 65535 is allowed to be specified.

I'm not complaining, CPYTOSTMF will do what I need to do :)

Again, thanks for pointing me in the right direction.
Best regards,
Moe

Scott Klement wrote:
Please read the following APAR:
http://www-912.ibm.com/n_dir/nas4apar.NSF/51d11a683a56a5cc862564c000763b23/0cd39ad7f981e5bc86256e5400420e53

This is a FAQ.

as400 wrote:
On v5r1 I used to be able to copy a *SPLF to a *PF and then use CPYTOIMPF
with STMFCODPAG(*PCASCII) to get an ascii file in the IFS.

With v5r3 this no longer seems to work. When I display the file in the
IFS, even tough it looks largely ok, I get the message 'File CCSID
incorrect' (CPDB610) at the bottom of the screen:

Cause . . . . . :   The file CCSID was 01252, but the data in the file
   looks like EBCDIC. A CCSID of 00500 is being used.

Recovery  . . . :   If another CCSID is needed, use F15 to change to the
   desired CCSID.

When I ftp (bin or asc) off the file to a PC it looks like a mess (or as
the above message suggests, like EBCDIC data).

What am I doing wrong?
Moe