Our auditors like passwords at least 6 characters.

We haven't turned on long passwords; ours are still all uppercase.

Using letters and numbers, 6 characters will give 26x36x36x36x36x36 = 1,572,120,576 possible passwords.

You have to balance security vs usability. Requiring a 'license plate' password is no more secure than 6 characters that are semi-significant.

My favorite password generator is to open a book, magazine, or other work of literature to a random page, close my eyes, and point. The word + page number becomes the password.

It has the advantage of being memorizable without requiring a yellow sticky under the keyboard.

--Paul E Musselman
PaulMmn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

The rules being proposed

 >                 Must be at least 4 characters

                 Must be changed every 180 days

                 Can't change your password more than once a day

                 Must contain at least 3 of the following 4

                                 One lower case alpha character (a-z)

                                 One upper case alpha character (A-Z)

                                 One numeric character (0-9)

                                 One special character