From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Chad Carroll
Sent: Thursday, February 22, 2007 11:24 AM
To: midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: VISTA issues with netserver

Hello,

I posted this on PCTECH the other day but have not received any
response. I noticed some decent vista discussions on this list so
figured I would post here.

I was wondering/hoping if any of you that have played with Vista so far
have had any problems or specific workarounds in order to get Vista to
map to any of your netserver shares? I know of the issues with
operations console and other Client Access issues, but I have not seen
anything that made me think that mapping to a share would be such an
issue. Did I miss something extremely obvious? I guess it wouldn't be
the first time.

We have multiple shares on our internal iSeries that I can not get 3
brand new Dell boxes running Vista Buisness to connect to. I have looked
and search through countless forums and articles and can not come up
with a solution.

The shared drive is on an v5r1 box. The vista boxes all have Client
Access v5r4 with the latest apar installed on them. This server is also
our DNS, DHCP, and lotus server for this internal network. The vista
machines all quickly picked up IP's from the DHCP right out of the box
and were on the internet with no issues. the server's name is "MMI" and
I can ping, ftp, connect to mail, and connect through our Client Access
emulator using "MMI" as an address with no issues, so I know the dns is
working fine. We run a Lotus Domino server on the machine as well and
from a Lotus Notes client on the Vista machines I have no problem
opening the Lotus file system and exploring through and opening the
Lotus databses on the server.

I am administrator on the vista machines. I have UAC turned off, I have
it set to automatically elevate and I have the personal and domain
firewall completely turned off. There is no other firewall or security
software on the machine, as I un-installed norton right after I took the
machines out of the box.

I have completely disabled IPv6 on the vista box. I also downloaded the
most recent drivers for the Intel LAN adapter that the vista machines
are using. No luck there.

I have tried multiple security setting changes that I read about,
including changing the "Network Security:
Lan Manager" setting as I read about issues with certain samba drives.
None of this has helped.

The vista boxes will pick up "MMI" in the network explorer. However if I
try to explore the share I get "Windows cannot access "\\MMI" error and
if I diagnos it tells me that no problem with network was found.

When I attemp to map the share I get "The mapped network drive could not
be created because the following error has occured: An unxpected error
has occured". If I then diagnose the problem I get "No problem was found
with the network"

I then try to sign-on the share using a different user name thinking it
may be a username or password problem. If I use an incorrect username or
password as soon as I click "finish" to map the drive it will pop and
and say "Logon Unsuccesfull: Please make sure your username and/or
password are correct". As soon as I change the username and password to
a valid account for the iSeries and then try to map it I'm back to the
"Unexpected error has occured". So it is recognizing the valid account
name and password, it just won't open the share.

I have all ports on the server open, and there are no restrictions. At
the moment we have win98, 2000 Pro and XP Pro boxes all using this share
mapped to \\mmi\netshare (and others) without issue. All with vanilla
out of the box network settings. In fact, the day after the Vista
machines arrived a new laptop with XP pro on it arrived and we were on
the netshare within seconds.

I renamed and created new shares on the IBM server, and every other time
all other Windows machines besides the Vista machiens pick them out
without issue.

From the Vista box I CAN succesfully connect to shares
on other Vista, XP pro, and 2000 pro boxes, just not our iSeries server
share.

I am open to any and all suggestions at this point.
I'd especially like to hear if anyone has a Vista machine succefully
mapping to a v5r1 share at all. I'm assuming at this point that this is
possible and I am hopefully missing something trivial that makes a 5
second process on a 98 or XP pro box turn into a huge issue for the
vista machine.