Von: midrange-l-bounces+hauser=sss-software.de@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:midrange-l-bounces+hauser=sss-software.de@xxxxxxxxxxxx] Im Auftrag
von Jerry Adams
Gesendet: Friday, February 16, 2007 14:14
An: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Betreff: Re: Creating dds source from SQL Tables

Dave Odom wrote:
Word to the wise if you talk to others using industry standard RDBM's,
like the real DB2s and ORACLE... don't tout nor brag about DB2/400's
traditional record access as you'll only embarrass yourself.  They
don't consider the platform nor its DB2 as a serious contender in the
RDBMS
wars.   Think I'm wrong, go to a real DB2 convention and talk about DB2
on the 400  or an ORACLE convention and do the same and see how they
react.

I have spoken with a couple of these people.  One is a former iSeries
programmer now doing work for the last five years primarily in SQL
Server, but with a significant amount of Oracle work.  His opinion of
Oracle is that, while it may be good, Oracle has so many vendor
extensions that it makes it difficult to interact with other databases
and darn near impossible to convert.  DB2 is an industry standard,
albeit with its own vendor extensions.

The other was an SQL Server dba.  He got pretty tired of me repeatedly
tell him during a project that "Gee, we never have that kind of problem
of the iSeries."  So he went on-line to get rebuttal data.  After a
week, his comment was "That's damn good!"  Why is it that dba's are
almost non-existent on a System i, but pretty much mandatory on other
systems?

I took some university courses (the basic "SQL 101 and 102") on SQL
Server back about five years ago.  After spending about five minutes
learning the "new" nomenclature (libraries = schemas, etc.), there
wasn't much to it.  Except for actual deployment, everything learned on
an iSeries (except for Views, which were new to me) translated pretty
much.  Aced the courses without having to do much studing (which is a
good thing cause I'm a lazy s.o.b.).

        * Jerry C. Adams
*IBM System i5/iSeries Programmer/Analyst
B&W Wholesale Distributors, Inc.* *
voice
        615.995.7024
fax