Yes.

You can go in through the Operations Navigator interface (or whatever they
are calling it this week) as QSECOFR, select "File Systems", select
QSYS.LIB, locate the file and then rename it of delete it.

Ops Nav is clever.  It will let you fix a file name, but not break it.

It seems trivial, but there's a knack to it.  I would a bunch recently, and
it took some time to find he first and first it fix it, but the next dozen
or so were fast.

OS/400 is smart.  It wouldn't let you create an invalid name (like with
CRTPF, or F6 from PDM), but it won't let you break one either.  I suspect
that I got my bad names through a bug, which IBM later fixed, and when they
fixed the bug to let me you create a bad name, they also got the bug to not
let you fix it or delete it.

Al

Al Barsa, Jr.
Barsa Consulting Group, LLC

400>390

"i" comes before "p", "x" and "z"
e gads

Our system's had more names than Elizabeth Taylor!

914-251-1234
914-251-9406 fax

http://www.barsaconsulting.com
http://www.taatool.com
http://www.as400connection.com

             jlowary@saltonusa
             .com
             midrange-l-bounce         midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
             s@xxxxxxxxxxxx                                             cc

                                                                   Subject
             02/14/2007 09:54          Object with Invalid Name
             AM

             Please respond to
             Midrange Systems
                 Technical
                Discussion
             <midrange-l@midra
                 nge.com>

Anyone know of a way (other than maybe DST) to get ride of an object that
has an invalid name?  We have an file that has the name of  "1", don't
know how it got there but has been there since '98  (it might be the file
formally named Prince).

Only way we found it was thru some software we are using to monitor and
keep authorities compliant.  It showed up on the list as Non-Compliant.

You can't delete/rename/etc or do a display of the File Description
directly.  Only way you can see it is to do a WRKOBJ or DSPFD for that
library and do all files,  then it will be in the list that it gives you.
If you try and access it directly then you get the message that object
name is not valid.

Strange?

Jim Lowary
System Analyst, Salton Inc.