That looks to me like the essence of my problem, Jeff. I can not define the output of the date to a single format. Various installations use various standards for their dates. I can not arbitrarily stick a definition they do not want into their DDS. I can not specify DATFMT in the file.

Man, now I know why I haven't used CL in years.

Jeff Crosby wrote:
Here's the DDS for TESTFILE that I created:

A R TESTREC
A            DATE01          L         TEXT('MDY DATE')
A DATFMT(*MDY)
A            DATE02          L         TEXT('DMY DATE')
A DATFMT(*DMY)
A            DATE03          L         TEXT('YMD DATE')
A DATFMT(*YMD)
A            DATE04          L         TEXT('USA DATE')
A DATFMT(*USA)
A            DATE05          L         TEXT('ISO DATE')
A DATFMT(*ISO)
A            DATE06          L         TEXT('JUL DATE')
A DATFMT(*JUL)
A            DATE07          L         TEXT('EUR DATE')
A DATFMT(*EUR)
I wrote a single record to it via an RPG program with today's date in every
field.  A view utility shows this:

Expanding Record ... DATE01 02/05/07 DATE02 05/02/07 DATE03 07/02/05 DATE04 02/05/2007 DATE05 2007-02-05 DATE06 07/036 DATE07 05.02.2007
It's the same date in every field, but each is 'presented' in the format
defined in the database.  The CVTDAT will, I think, need to know the format
of the input date, as would RPG.  If the input date in you're getting  is
not a true date field and could be in, for example, any of the above
formats, and that format is unknown to you, I don't know how you would
handle that.  02/05/07 is a valid date in 3 different formats, each yielding
a different date.