Philipp Rusch schrieb:
Al Barsa schrieb:
What IBM did with the new 5xx boxes is told you about the number of
processors they were going to let you use, and then told the truth about
it.  Had they sold you .32 processors, and rounded it to 1.0 (by
multiplying everything (by multiplying everything by 3.13,) no one would
have been upset, but they didn't do that; and it would have caused a very
complicated set of rules about the amount of processor you would need per
partition.

Al

Al Barsa, Jr.
Barsa Consulting Group, LLC

400>390

"i" comes before "p", "x" and "z"
e gads

Our system's had more names than Elizabeth Taylor!

914-251-1234
914-251-9406 fax

http://www.barsaconsulting.com
http://www.taatool.com
http://www.as400connection.com

Philipp Rusch <philipp.rusch@ne wvision-it.de> To Sent by: Midrange Systems Technical midrange-l-bounce Discussion s@xxxxxxxxxxxx <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx> cc 01/23/2007 11:14 Subject AM LPAR - micro partitioning an i5-520 Please respond to Midrange Systems Technical Discussion <midrange-l@midra nge.com>

Hello *ALL,
would someone be so kind to explain some LPAR-details to me ?
I tried to configure LPARs with Virtual Partition Manager for a quite
simple goal:
Given a one processor i5-520-machine,  i5-OS V5R3 or V5R4 we want to add
one or more Linux partitions.
Why is the number of processor units = 0.32 ???
Does this mean, I won't be able to give my linux partition a tenth of
processor
power, because I am not able to divide my 0.32 to something smaller than
0.22 units for my i5-OS partition and 0.10 units for my Linux ?
I always thought 0.10 is the minimum for micro partitioning a single POWER5
processor and since whe have one processor its processor units have to
be 1.00 ??? What am I missing here ?
The VPM Redbook is not helpful at all ...

Any hint welcome.
Regards from Germany,
Philipp

--
Thanks Al for your fast response,
but I still don't get it: is my calculation correct or do I have to know something

Sigh,
Philipp
Would I be better off with a model 800, 810 or even a 270, then ?
I never did LPAR config on those, but we need to evaluate this ...
I found the table for "Linux on system i" and I am frustrated:
So at my 520's we have the silly situation that both have the 1200 CPW
processor, which is only able to run 3 partition from its "0.32" CPU,
which means that I am throughing away a lot of CPU-power for my linux
partition, where instead I would need it at my i5-OS partition. Idiotic.
As I learned now, I can only put 0.12 units for i5-OS, 0.10 for the first
Linux partition and another 0.10 units for the second Linux partition
and that's it. How dumb and how inflexible.

Philipp