From: rob@xxxxxxxxx

It has been pointed out to me that my ftp exit point has a bug.  I check
the first few characters.  For example I will only allow you to change
directory into certain directories.  However, someone pointed out a common
error.  What about cd
/ToDirectoryThatRobInsistsUpon/../TheOneThatTheSneakyBastardWantsInto

Other common errors?  How about the traditional web hack that someone puts
up a search screen that prompts you for certain values?  And then passes
those values via URL.  Then the hack is that you can manipulate how the
search data is represented in that url to darn near perform an entirely
different SQL statement.

Welcome to the web world.  The good news, though, is that those exploits are
very well documented and you should, with some research, be able to find all
of them and address them.  The SQL injection technique in particular is a
nasty one but one that has some very well-tested workarounds.

The SQL exit point can be a real pain, especially since you need to then
scan every SQL command and in a high-transaction environment that's going to
be ugly performance-wise.  That's why I recommend people just turn it off
and use a called program or a web service.  That way you have much easier
control over what's being allowed.

Joe